© St Andrews Church, Church Lane, Utterby, Louth, LN11 OTH
St Andrews Church Utterby “Covid restrictions have closed the church and Sunda worship cannot take place”
“The Church and Utterby”
“Utterby” Taken from “The King’s England” - Lincolnshire Dated May 1949.
Utterby, Here, across a shady lane, village church and manor house face each other as they have done through many centuries. Utterby Manor, with its three-storeyed porch and Dutch gable, was enlarged in late Victorian times, but has on its old fabric the date 1639 and the coat-of-arms of the Elye family who acquired the manor in the 16th century. The church as a restored tower, chancel, and tiny chapel from the 14th century, and a 15th century nave. Within the porch is a dainty little doorway with crocketed hood and finial and moulding dotted with flowers and leave, human heads and grotesques, a fox with geese, a bearded man with a club and a monkey on a string, and a monkey holding a child. The rugged old door still has its original iron boss for a ring. The chancel keeps its old piscina and aumbry, a statue bracket, and a windowsill serving as a sedile. By the chancel arch is a beautiful canopy shaped like a turret with embattled top, and richly carved with tracery and flowers. The screen, stalls, altar rails, and canopied reredos are all fine examples of modern woodwork. In the wall of the north aisle is a memorial stone to a 14th century vicar, William Cumberworth, which shows his half figure deeply sunk in a quatrefoil, his hands clasped in prayer. Another memorial is a hatchment with the coloured arms of William Davison who died a young man in 1702. Hatchments were hung out of the window of a house where a dead person lay, and put in the church after the funeral: but is is rare to find one inscribed as a memorial. Another rare sight is the open channel by the 14th century font, made for draining off the water into the churchyard, and in this case left uncovgered. In the churchyard is the lower part of an old cross, and by the side of the road crossing stream below the church is a disused pack horse bridge, 600 years old.